Category: Interior Design & Decorating
Comments Off on 5 Reasons to Choose Wallpaper For Your Walls
Some people prefer painted walls over wallpaper but those people may be missing out on some real advantages of wallpaper. It seems that wallpaper tends to go in and out as a popular trend, but no matter if it is popular or not, here are 5 reasons why you should choose wallpaper for your walls.
1. Wallpaper Offers a Variety of Styles
With paint all you can choose is the color of the walls and if you are not handy with a paintbrush you usually choose one color. With wallpaper you have a ton more variety to choose from. You can pick from different patterns, textures, and colors. With wallpaper you have thousands of options to pick from, while with paint you are quite limited. With wallpaper the options are endless in what type you can choose for your home – you may be surprised at the types of wallpaper they make nowadays.
2. Wallpaper Can Help Disguise Imperfections
Wallpaper is a great way to hide any imperfections or uneven surfaces that a wall may have. You can easily take wallpaper and cover the wall so that a crack in the wall or a dent in the wall is not visible anymore. Wallpaper does a much better job at disguising things than paint does.
3. Wallpaper Displays Your Real Personality and Interests
If you happen to love boats, then you can easily express that interest in your life with wall paper. When you choose wallpaper for your walls you can truly express your personality and interests. No matter what thing or hobby that you want to show off, there is most likely wallpaper that goes with it.
4. Wallpaper can Improve the Appearance of the Room
Depending on what type of wallpaper you decide to go with, it can actually make a room look much better than before. Some wallpapers can make a small room look larger or can bring together the items of the room into a cohesive style. Putting wallpaper up on the walls is the biggest thing that you can do to change a room. If you choose a wallpaper that is pleasing to the eye and fits well with the style it can actually look much more appealing than just paint on the walls.
5. Wallpaper Borders Are a Great Option for Extra Style
If you are unsure if you want to paint or wallpaper a room, try painting and adding a wallpaper border to the wall. This gives you the personalized style and added character to the rooms but without the big commitment of wallpapering the whole wall. A wallpaper border in the middle or top of the wall is a great way to incorporate more of your sense of style in the room.
Wallpaper is a home decorating tool that is not going anywhere. It may always come and go in the décor trends, but there are permanent benefits to having wallpaper on your walls at all times.
Today’s wallpapers are convenient and practical to use in case you want to renovate or change the appearance of your walls. You can choose from various widths (18 to 27 inches) of wallpaper in the market. A whole sheet of wallpaper can cover an area of 36 square feet but since walls too have different sizes, certain parts of the wallpaper sheet are trimmed so one sheet usually ends up with a covered area of about 30 square feet of wall area.
Wallpaper has indeed undergone important innovations. These days, if you are shopping around for wallpapers and related supplies, you can choose from a lot of wallpaper with extensive designs. There are wallpapers which need separate pastes so they can be attached to walls. There are also wallpapers which are pre-pated at the back, installers need only to remove the protective covering and the wallpaper is ready to be installed on the wall. Today’s wallpapers are also made of different materials depending on which type of wallpaper they are.
- A Common Wallpaper is one which requires the installer to apply adhesives at the back before it can be attached onto the wall. It is the classic wallpaper that adds grace and elegance to homes. Common wallpaper is ideally used in walls and areas where it is less likely to be damaged or worn such as in dining rooms, bedrooms and living room.
- A Foil Wallpaper can create a small area to be interesting with details on the walls. It is wallpaper made with a metal foil printed with a variety of patterns. This type of wallpaper requires serious and considerable amount of effort when being attached to the wall. Once folded or wrinkled, the foil wallpaper will not look very inviting. It also tends to reveal and show the flaws of the walls on which it was attached.
- The Vinyl Wallpaper has been replacing the Common wallpaper in popularity. This wallpaper may be used in variety of purposes; can be bought from paint hardware store and other home renovation shops. It may be used in almost any room of the house including bathrooms, kitchens and nurseries. Some vinyl wallpapers are manufactured with mildew resisting materials. It is easier to work with, durable and can endure some light scrubbing or exposure to moisture.
- The Flock Wallpaper is most commonly attached to the walls of dining rooms and more formal area which needs some decorative highlights. Flock wallpaper was originally made by gluing onto the sheet of paper some wool waste product. The loose flock particles must be vacuumed first before application. The flocks are washable yet may be damaged when rubbed or scrubbed.
- The Fabric Wallpaper is made from cloth and textiles. It is difficult to work with fabric wallpaper and prevent it from getting stained.
- The Grasscloth wallpaper is an exotic type of wall covering as it is made of grasses woven together. Areas or spaces where it is likely to get worn are ideal to be decorated with grasscloth wallpaper. Since it has intricate and interesting design, children are likely to touch it and thus result to possible wear.
Your living room décor is often a reflection of your aesthetic sense. It makes a statement about your artistic skills. So the question is what are the top trends in this space and how can you decorate in a way that makes heads turn.
Well, first and foremost, you have to decide on a theme and plan the rest of the décor as per that. But there are some basic trends that you must follow to bring about the cozy, comfortable feel to your house.
The Top Trends
Bright Colours: Increasingly there is a shift to bright shades from muted colors. Cheerful and vivacious, these bright tones invariably lend an unusual warmth to your living space. Be it the cheerful green or the lemon yellow, it is hard to surpass the glow of these shades.
Natural Light: Again the focus is on bringing in as much of the natural warmth in your house as possible. You might have the best of the designer lighting but nothing quite compares to the natural glow of the sunlight. Therefore, open up the windows and make the passage for as much natural light as possible. Even the moonlight on full moon evenings can add magic tour décor.
Warm Wooden tones: The idea is to continue with the earthy natural tone in every element of your décor. Therefore go for wooden furniture in natural and warm tones. The rich brown of the teak wood and the gorgeous black of the fragrant rosewood is sure to add a lot of warmth. They also enhance the aesthetic essence in your home décor.
Mix & Match: Let’s say you have Italian furniture but if a Turkish rug goes with the overall colour scheme and theme, go ahead and add it. The idea is to mix and match accessories in a healthy and cohesive fashion. This will give your living room a distinct identity. It will also grab the attention of anyone who comes to your house. Additionally, it also adds to the cozy factor.
Comments Off on Living Room Decoration and Design Ideas
Your living room takes up a number of different roles which requires challenging decorating techniques and demands proper planning. You may want your room to cater and entertain your guests, or you might want it to be your relaxing casual space accommodating only your leisure activities for example watching TV, reading or mingling with family members. So before you begin to decorate your living room, plan out your budget and accommodate your planning according to it. This article will present your some economic ways to bring color to your living room and enhance its decoration.
Splash Your Niche
You can add a dash of color and shade by painting a single wall with a bold color. This will change the central point of your room without the help of any expensive or lavish decorating item. Niches and alcoves are perfect places to paint. A splash of some bold color which may be a darker tone of the rest of the walls or be compliment to your general color theme of the living room, is the perfect way to bring a creative change in your living room.
Toss Some Sofa Cushions
You can also add some cushions or pillows to your furniture, which adds color to your solid furniture. Bright and patterned cushions add the right color to your room furniture and also include comfort to your seating.
The Mother Nature effects
You can use the help of green plants or flowers to add not just color to your living room but also personality and fragrance. It adds a good and soothing feeling to your room. However, if you are not fond of plants inside the house or cannot take much care of the plants then you may opt for artificial flowers which only need to be dusted.
Install a Fancy Lamp
For a more classic look, add an interesting, fancy lamp inside your room. You can install electrical components inside some pot or sculpture of your choice which gives exclusiveness and personality to your room. The yellow lights play a soothing role and are immensely seductive.
Color the Floor
You can start to clear the floor by adding a colorful rug in your living room which adds texture and some fun element in the room. Using it on top of hardwood flooring or plain carpets can create an interesting effect. Try to opt for rugs which share the theme of the entire living room.
Personalize your family room in an artsy manner by adding a family photo gallery on a plain wall. Frame your photos and place them strategically on the wall to add color and uniqueness to your living room. You can further add decorative objects around the room on shelves, racks or tables. Antique objects, photos, jars of dry fruit or candies may be used.